Monday, June 17, 2013

Pinterest Food Hall of Shame

I started a new board on Pinterest called "Pinterest Food Hall of Shame".   People post a crazy amount of really gross things that could loosely be described as food on Pinterest.  Many of these recipes contain: Jello, Cool Whip, bacon, canned cinnamon roll dough, or crescent rolls.  There are other offending ingredients, but those are some of the biggies.  I'm not a food Puritan.  I like sweets and other snacks - but the indulgence should be satisfying and decadent.  These are usually just sugar and hydrogenated fat bombs that people usually scarf down without even really experiencing what they are eating. 

So I started a board where I repost these with my own commentary on the ingredients.  One of the first recipes I pinned is a dessert sandwich made with Cool Whip, graham crackers, frosting, and sprinkles.  When I first saw it I thought it was made from Pop Tarts (which would be even worse). 

Two hours after putting this up, I have 5 people who have reposted the pin onto their own boards with names like "Yummy Food".  This despite the fact that there is very little food in that "food".

Ugh.

You can check out my Hall of Shame for Pinterest here: http://pinterest.com/emilyrascal/pinterest-food-hall-of-shame/

I clicked through most of the links to the originating blogs.  Many of them are filled with things that do look like really delicious indulgences that may be worth the experience and pleasure of eating.  Or they are on blogs that show off a variety of crafty and fun stuff from their authors.  When you see them all together on people's Pinterest pages is when it just seems like a disgusting gluttonous sea of sugar coma inducing sweetness. 

No comments: